Friday, May 4, 2012

Maternal Instinct, Where Are You?

I read this article on people.com about Giuliana Ranic and her worries about holding a baby. She said,

"[I'm most nervous] about dropping the baby. It's terrible! When I hold a baby, I'm very awkward. Everyone always tells me to relax my shoulders and I get so scared. I don't want to drop the baby!"

This is pretty much how I feel.

In all my life, I could probably count the number of times I've held a baby on one hand. Yikes! And I'm about to be a mother! I, too, am very awkward when it comes to baby-holding. I told John that I have this irrational fear that their heads will roll off. Silly, I know. But a more rational fear I have is simply dropping the baby! Or holding him or her in a way that makes them uncomfortable and want to squirm out of my arms, as most babies are wont to do with me. I chalk this up to being the younger sibling and the fact that I've never babysat in my life (and my general paranoid personality). John, on the other hand, is AMAZING when it comes to kids. He's an absolute natural. Whenever he holds our nephew, Eli, he's all smiles. As soon as I try to hold him, oh man, watch out for the waterworks! He can probably sense my lack of baby-holding skills. I'm hoping (and deep down, I know) this will be one of those things that come naturally to me, as with all things maternal-instinct-related will.

See? All smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment