Tuesday, May 8, 2012

FAQs

These were some of the questions I had for my doctor and I figured it would be a good idea to post them here because who knows? You may have had the same questions as me (or maybe you will one day).

1. Is exercising safe?
Yes. My doctor said pretty much any and all exercises are good for me and the baby. Some exceptions, of course, include contact sports and really heavy lifting. I spent maybe the first 6 weeks of my pregnancy completely paranoid, but after speaking to my doctor, I resumed my normal routine. The only thing I cut out were core exercises (for obvious reasons) and heavy squats (I used to squat 200 pounds. I decided maybe all that strain on my legs wasn't such a good idea). The main thing to keep in mind is that if you've been working out prior to becoming pregnant, it's healthy to continue your workout regimen. If you haven't, it's still a good idea to exercise, but incorporate certain exercises slowly into your routine. For example, I was never a runner. In fact, I despise running. So of course, I'm not going to start running now. But for cardio, I take long walks or use the elliptical machine. I work out three days a week, and I weight train for about 45 minutes, working on chest, back, arms, and legs, and about 15-20 minutes of cardio.

2. What acne medications are safe to use?
Sadly, none. And sadly, I have been plagued by adult acne thanks to my ultra-sensitive skin. And it's only gonna get worse thanks to all those pregnancy hormones. On the bright side, I think my skin has held up pretty well given the circumstances. When I do break out, I just pile on the concealer!

3. What are the top foods I should avoid?
This was another one of those things that I spent my first trimester being completely paranoid about. But once again, my doctor reassured me that almost all foods that I ate before I was pregnant are completely fine to eat. She just said to use common sense - of course no raw foods or alcohol. Caffeinated drinks, such as sweet tea, were ok as long as they were taken in moderation - a cup a day was fine. The thing with caffeinated drinks is that they increase the risk of miscarriage in the first trimester. But after that, they are fine to drink as long as you supplement them with plenty of water. And so far, I've only had one cup of sweet tea in my entire pregnancy. Admittedly, I have had sushi, BUT only the cooked kind and only once every few weeks. Again, everything in moderation.

4. Is there a cream I can use to prevent stretch marks?
The answer is a resounding NO! My doctor and every baby book or article I've read has repeatedly said no. Sure, there's cocoa butter and a ton of other miracle creams on the market that claim to prevent stretch marks. But stretch marks are simply genetic - some people are lucky and just don't get them while others are more prone to get them. Unfortunately, I am one of those. Yes, I do have stretch marks, and a ton of them. There was a time when I gained a whopping 40 pounds in just a matter of weeks, thanks to the "freshmen 15" and those conveniently packaged frozen chicken tenders that you can deep fry in just minutes for a quick and tasty meal. I did eventually lose all the weight (thanks to a personal trainer and an alarming wakeup call from an old outspoken college classmate who once told me that my "rolls of fat" were sticking out and it just wasn't cute. Mind you, this was coming from someone who was even bigger than I was!), but those stretch marks are still there as little big reminders to put down the french fries every now and then. So the best way to prevent stretch marks? Steady weight gain, about a pound a week starting in your second trimester. And hey, it doesn't hurt to slather on the cocoa butter either (as I do at least once a day).

5. How do I find a doctor to deliver my baby? And where do I deliver? And in general, what the heck do I do now that I'm pregnant?!
Getting pregnant was the easy part, but afterwards, I really had no idea what to do next. I didn't know how to pick a doctor, which hospital I was supposed to go to, etc. I had been going to UF Generation to Generation for a few years now for my regular appointments, and my doctor told me if I was happy there, then they would be happy to delivery my baby. I thought, "Oh, that was easy." The only thing is, they deliver at Orange Park Medical Center, which is quite a drive from where John and I live. Right now, my doctors appointments are convenient because I work in Orange Park and I can easily swing by after work. But I was afraid of going into labor if I was all the way on Southside, which is where we live AND it's a solid 30-minute drive to the hospital, given that there's no traffic (and with the Buckman Bridge, you just never know). Anyway, my doctor reassured me that with first pregnancies, labor takes a looooong time so I would have plenty of time to get to the hospital. So that made me feel better. But then there were the naysayers who scoffed at the idea of having a baby in Orange Park (shudder). You see, they used to have a bad reputation many many years ago. But my good friends, Katherine and Joey, who both work in the medical field (and who are also expecting by the way), reassured me that Orange Park has come a long way since those days and it's a wonderful hospital to deliver at and they have a great maternity ward. So John and I felt better and I'm really happy with my doctor anyway and that's the most important part.

Bottom line is - simply have common sense when it comes to pregnancy. My doctor put it this - women have been having perfectly healthy babies for thousands of years, without the use of baby books or all these other precautions. My Mom also pointed out that back when she had me, she had coffee every day, they never had ultrasounds, and her doctor never warned her against all these foods or products. My point is, there's never been a safer time than now to have a baby. So if you are expecting, keep a few simple rules in mind (no raw foods, exercise regularly, etc.), sit back, relax, and enjoy your pregnancy :)

Any questions for me? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your pregnancy, I enjoy reading your blog. I'm not pregnant but hope to be soon. I didn't know about acne medication! If I don't follow my regimen, I break out like crazy, that will be interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. I thought I would break out like crazy, too, but my skin has held up pretty well. I think using a really good cleanser (I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser) and moisturizing regularly (again, I use Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Nourishing Moisturizer) help out a lot. Good luck and I hope you get pregnant soon!

      Delete