Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Non-Maternity Maternity Blouse

33 Weeks
What I'm Wearing:
Camisole from the Gap
Joe's Chelsea Secret Fit Belly Skinny Leg Maternity Jeans from A Pea in the Pod
Marc by Marc Jacobs mouse ballet flats
Necklace from Target

I've done my best to keep my maternity clothing purchases to a minimum. While some pieces of clothing were simply nonnegotiable (pants, shorts, and skirts), I've been pretty successful with buying and wearing blouses in my pre-pregnancy size. I'm sure this has less to do with my shopping skills and more to do with the fact that slightly oversized, blousy tops are plentiful this season. Some of my favorites come from Lauren Conrad's line for Kohl's. She has perfected the art of combining pretty prints with oversized yet girly silhouettes. I'm usually one for more fitted, tailored pieces, but lately I've been embracing the trend of blousier tops. They somehow have a feminine charm despite their baggier fit, especially when paired with skinny jeans and the right accessories. Because of their looser fit, I've been able to wear these blouses throughout pregnancy, even in an XS. And after baby, I'll be able to continue wearing them. I can't say the same for my maternity clothing, of course (those will be promptly placed in storage after the Bit is born). Somehow, I use this to justify buying these blouses (look John! I can wear them during and after pregnancy! It's like a twofer!). But even with this extensive use of logic, John is still not convinced. 

I don't know if I've just jinxed myself by writing this post because I've been told by a couple veteran mamas that during the last month of their pregnancies, they eventually had to cave and buy more maternity clothes because they gained that much weight towards the end. I'm really hoping I can avoid this. I only have about 6 weeks left and so far the few maternity clothes I do have, coupled with my blousy tops, have gotten me through my pregnancy. Of course I want my son to grow bigger and stronger and healthier, but I hope he can do so within the confines of my current clothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment