Sunday, September 9, 2012

Glucose Tolerance Test

Back in week 28, I had to take the one-hour glucose tolerance test, which helps determine your risk for gestational diabetes. I had to drink this super sugary orange flavored "juice" and then wait an hour for my blood to be drawn. I was warned several times about this drink - that it was too sweet, it tasted disgusting, etc. I actually didn't think it was that bad. To me, it just tasted like a sweeter version of Gatorade. Sure, it wouldn't be my drink of choice, but it wasn't unbearable.


I've had a couple people tell me that they didn't eat anything before their appointment. Well, my appointment was at noon and there was no way I was going all morning without having something to eat. So I had my usual breakfast of cereal, which I didn't think was too bad. I felt confident that this would not affect my test results. 

Well, I failed.

I scored a 132, and the cutoff point is 130. So anyone who scores above a 130 must then take the THREE-HOUR glucose tolerance test. I seriously thought I could get out of doing this. I put it off for a few weeks and tried to reason with my doctor that my results were so insignificant that it would be a waste of time. But he ordered me to take it, reassuring me that the results would more than likely be fine. He also said a lot of smaller women tend to fail these tests because our bodies are just not use to the sugar. 

So fast-forward to week 33. I went to Quest Diagnostics to take my 3-hour test. I went prepared - I had my iPhone and iPad fully charged and loaded with movies and magazines. Here's generally how the test works: you have to fast (which honestly is such a difficult thing for a pregnant woman to do. I still can't believe I had to go all morning without eating anything) and then they draw your blood four times. The first time is the "fasting" blood and then you have to drink the glucose, which had twice as much sugar as the first one. I was told I had five minutes to down it and I thought, "Who would need the full five minutes?" It took me maybe about a minute to drink the whole bottle. Admittedly, it was a bit difficult because it was so sweet and I had to pause a few times to take a break, but again, not unbearable. From there, they draw your blood every hour for three hours. In the meantime, you wait. And wait. And wait. I thought maybe I could leave and come back , but they said I had to stay so they could "monitor" me. Here's how my day went:

7:45 am - my appointment time.

7:49 am - my arrival time (oops).

7:55 am - I was called back so they could process my insurance info. Afterwards, I was told to go to room 1. There were about seven numbered rooms, which is where they draw all the blood. 

8:20 am - my "fasting" blood was drawn. Yes, I waited nearly half an hour for this. Surprisingly, there were A LOT of people there. I'm glad I had an appointment. They actually do walk-ins and I can't imagine how long that would have taken.

Getting your blood drawn is no bueno.

8:24 am -  I drank the glucose.

8:25 am - I finished the drink and was told to sit in the tiniest waiting room ever until 9:25 am, then 10:25, and finally 11:25. This was totally awkward for me. The waiting room was about the size of a bathroom with one recliner, one chair, and a really tiny couch that could fit two people comfortably. Of course, every seat was taken, but the two ladies on the couch made room for me to squeeze in the middle. Oh, and we're all pregnant by the way. 

8:26 am-9:29 am - my first hour consisted of checking my email, browsing the Internet, texting, and reading a magazine.

9:30 am - my "one-hour" blood is drawn. I was a little late because I wasn't sure if they were going to call me back or if I was supposed to just go back there myself. Turns out, I was supposed to just head on back.

9:31 am-10:24 am - my second hour consisted of watching Harry Potter on my iPad and falling asleep. 

10:25 am - my "two-hour" blood is drawn.

10:35 am - the last pregnant lady leaves the waiting room and I'm left all alone.

10:38 am - the peaceful solitude is short-lived. Another mom walks in with an adorable daughter, but an obnoxious son who won't sit still or be quiet.

10:41 am - I checked my email and found that the new Orla Kiely fall collection had arrived - yay!

10:44 am - the daughter is not so cute anymore. She begins screaming at the top of her lungs and won't stop.

11:08 am - found out that Anthropologie was having an additional 25% off sale and begin shopping online.

11:15 am - I run into one of my Mom's acquaintances and she begins asking me all kinds of questions about the baby and telling me that having a boy first is "lucky."

11:20 am - I resume shopping online.

11:25 am - my "three-hour" blood is drawn. I was finally free!

So fast-foward again to week 34. I had another appointment where my doctor informs me that I passed the test with flying colors (see? I knew I would). So here's the moral of this story - if there's anything you can do to avoid this test, do it! Don't eat anything sugary before your one-hour test. In fact, don't eat anything at all! I should have listened to my friends who fasted first. 

After my appointment, I went to McDonald's to have a McFlurry and a Happy Meal (hey, I deserved it! I fasted all night and morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment