Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nesting

People constantly tell me that my life will change forever after the baby is born.

When people tell me this, all I hear is, "You will never have time to do anything again."

So over the summer, I was in full-on nesting mode. I wasn't even sure what this nesting was all about until I read about it online. Apparently, it's the stage during pregnancy when you feel the need to prepare for the baby. This could range from cleaning to getting the nursery ready. Well, I've been doing both - big time. It started with some simple scrapbooking.



But then it took off from there. I felt the need to go through every drawer, cabinet, and closet in my house and clean it out and organize it.

I started with this box full of buttons, thread, and sequins I've accumulated over the years. I dumped everything out and organized them into neat little piles according to color.

I then went to JoAnn's to purchase this plastic bin for organizing everything. It was originally $19.99, but with all those coupons they keep sending me, I got it for half off. I like that it has movable dividers and each space is just the right size for holding all my little miscellaneous items.

John calls this hoarding. I call it organizing.

Everything packed up so nice and neatly and now I can easily find an extra button should the need ever arise.

But it didn't stop there.

And maybe this is where John is right about the hoarding because I tend to keep every single card anyone has ever sent me. Seriously. I have cards that date back to high school, from people I don't even know or talk to anymore. I used to just stuff them into a box, but I decided to organize them as well.


Yes, I keep thank you cards, birthday cards, miscellaneous notes...heck, I even keep invitations.

An no organizer would be complete without her trusty little label maker.

Another project I decided to tackle was organizing my wedding china. I have all these fabulous Kate Spade place settings, but they were simply taking up too much space in my kitchen because I kept them all in their original boxes.

Honestly, I really like the boxes so that's probably why I kept them in there for so long.

See how cute these are?



BUT I decided it was time to put them into proper dinnerware storage.

$39.99
www.containerstore.com

Here's what's included.

$19.99
www.containerstore.com

Here's what's included.

Before.

After.

After.

So now every closet, every drawer, every cabinet in my home is organized. The only problem is John doesn't know where anything is anymore because I've moved everything! He'll ask me where something is and I'll reply, "In the most logical place." I often joke with him that I'm going to give him an orientation of our home. He thinks I'm a little nutty, but oh well. It feels GREAT to have a clean and organized home and that's one less thing I have to worry about when Lil Bit is born and every waking moment is dedicated to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment