Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Going Into Labor On Labor Day

This actually happened to my friend Kelsey. She joked about going into labor on Labor Day and lo and behold, she did. She is now a proud mom to son Nolen.

John and I Skyped with her and her husband Scott the other night and she regaled us with her terrifying labor story, which consisted of several failed epidurals and an emergency c-section. So today at my appointment, I asked my doctor about the possibility of the epidural not working. I told him about Kelsey and how the epidural only worked on one side of her body. He said it is possible, but it's very rare. So rare, in fact, that I shouldn't even be worrying about it at all. Well, that makes me feel somewhat better, but let's face it - I'm a first-time mom, I have no idea what to expect, and I tend to rely on stories that I hear from my family, friends, and the Internet. Although every woman's story is different, there is one piece of advice that is consistent - go into labor completely open-minded and be prepared for your birthing experience to be different from what you had originally planned. Ok, I can do that. And regardless of how crazy or painful or eventful my labor may be, in the end I'm getting a beautiful baby boy - I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment