Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Attempt At Bread Pudding

My obsession with bread pudding began as a result of attending the Jax Food Truck Rally over the weekend. So I set out to make it for myself using Paula Dean's recipe for Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. Hopefully, this will satisfy my pregnancy cravings.

Here are the ingredients I used (I tweaked the recipe a bit since I'll be the only one eating this bread pudding - John's not too fond of the stuff): 1 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, 2 eggs, 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. The recipe also calls for fruit cocktail and raisins, which I don't particularly like so I decided not to use them.

Step 1: Cube donuts into a large bowl.

Mmm...donuts...

Heart bowl courtesy of my friend Richelle :)
Step 2: Pour ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes.
I started with half the can of sweetened condensed milk, but then decided to just go ahead and pour the whole thing in. Doesn't it already look sinfully delicious?

And in goes the rest of the ingredients, including the eggs, cinnamon, and salt.

This is by far the UN-healthiest dessert I have ever made.

Baking dish again courtesy of Richelle
Step 3: Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
Since I didn't use all the ingredients, I decided to just bake it for 30 minutes, which I think turned out to be a good idea since the donuts came out a little more browned than what I would have liked. Plus, without the liquid from the fruit cocktail, the center didn't really need to "jell" as the recipe calls for.

The verdict: just ok. Honestly, it just tasted like warm Krispy Kreme donuts (which is totally fine be me). I realize now that I should have gone ahead and used the fruit cocktail so it would turn out more moist. This was a bit dry. It was nonetheless delicious and satisfied my bread pudding cravings (and I'm sure Lil Bit enjoyed it as well). I'm going to attempt this again this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment