Friday, June 22, 2012

Inspiration

A few weeks ago, John and I were in Orlando when we stopped in this store called Brunello Cucinelli. As soon as I walked in, I turned to John and said, "This is exactly how I want the nursery to look and feel like."

www.style.com

www.gq.com

I love all the neutral colors with subtle pops of blue. It all just feels so clean and calming and I felt it would be a good atmosphere to create for a baby's room.

Below are some of my favorite looks for men and women (photos courtesy of boutique.brunellocucinelli.com)





I love all the different shades of khaki, cream, grey, and blue. So John and I set out to Home Depot to find some paint samples that would remind us of this collection. 


Torn by all these decisions, I decided to hang the samples on the walls of the nursery to get a better idea of how they would look in different lighting.

John and I sat in front of this wall for several minutes, pulling off the ones that looked too similar to our existing wall color, as well as the ones that we felt were too dark. We also rearranged the samples several times to see which colors complemented each other the best.

We finally settled on Martha Stewart's Wrought Iron in Behr Flat Enamel paint  for two opposite walls and Behr Mesa Taupe in Flat Enamel for some stripes that we wanted to paint on the other two walls. We deiced to use the existing wall color as the other stripe.


The color for the stripes was the most difficult for us to choose. I didn't want anything too grey because I thought the blue/grey combo would look too much like UNF colors, while John didn't want anything too brown. I really like the color taupe and found this shade that we thought was a perfect compromise between what John and I both wanted.

We don't want to reveal too much yet, but here's a sneak preview of our progress.

There's me putting on the first strokes of blue paint.

John painting in his Uggs - I thought that was hilarious.

Me putting up the blue tape for the stripes. As John was taking this picture, I was laughing and telling him NOT to take my picture.

There's Lil Bit at 23 weeks.

John painting the stripes.

Stay tuned to see how everything turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment