Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Night Owl

A couple days ago, I mentioned how my sweet little boy is not-so-sweetly kicking his mama while she tries to sleep at night, instead of during the day when she's wide awake and anxiously awaiting his every movement. Well, I read that the reason babies tend to kick more during the night is because your constant movement during the day creates a sort of rhythmic rocking motion that lulls the baby to sleep. Then, when you settle in for the night and your body is not moving anymore, the rocking that your baby has been enjoying peacefully during the day is interrupted and he wakes up. Makes sense. 

Not only is my Lil Bit keeping me up at night with his little kicks, but he's also keeping me up by making me go to the bathroom at least three times a night. I think during week 25, I started averaging about 5 times a night. I know what everyone says - this'll give me good practice for when the baby wakes me up multiple times a night for his feedings. And honestly, I think I've been in training for this whole pregnancy thing for a long time. I've always had to get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I don't know what it is, but I have not had an uninterrupted night of sleep in many many years. Also, I'm a teacher. How does this help you might ask? Well, being a teacher, we are oftentimes tied to our classrooms because we simply can't leave 25+ kids unattended. So for several years, I'd gotten used to using the restroom approximately twice a day - during my planning period and after school. So in other words, I was used to, um, holding it in. This is highly NOT recommended, as it can cause a UTI, which is what I found out I had during one of my prenatal visits (apparently, it's quite common for pregnant women). Treatment is no biggie though - just some prescription pills you have to take twice a day for about two weeks. So now, being 27 weeks pregnant, I've made it a point to use the restroom before I leave the house and make note of all nearby restrooms wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment