Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mama's Boy


Last year when I found out I was having a boy, I was immediately excited and apprehensive at the same time. I think many of my anxieties about having a boy stemmed from my experiences as a teacher. I have been teaching for 6 years now and every year, I get at least one student who just despises me. They are rude, disrespectful, and just hate me from day one, for whatever reason. And every year, it's a boy.

I have two theories for this. 1) Women are not respected or valued in their home. Meaning, the father treats the mother poorly and as a result, the son learns to treat all women poorly. Or 2) these boys just become such mama's boys that no other woman could possibly live up to the perfection that is their mother. Therefore, all other women are deemed unworthy of the same respect or regard reserved for their own mother.

My theories are further confirmed by the fact that my husband, who teaches at the same school, is treated like a god by these very same students. Seriously. They bring him presents and glass-bottled Cokes (his favorite), and his walls are covered with cards and posters praising what a great person he is. I am not even exaggerating here to make a point.

John seems to think that I'm grooming Noah to be a mama's boy already. But it's only because I simply adore him and I want to hold and cuddle him now as much as possible because I know there's only a finite number of years I can get away with that before he becomes too independent to need my hugs anymore :(


So I've been inspired. Inspired to raise a son who is a true gentlemen. Respectful, kind, well-mannered. I would hate to think that this precious, innocent little boy could turn into someone who'll drive their teachers crazy one day.


No, I will not let that happen! So everyday, I pray and I speak kind words to him. I tell him how wonderful he is and that he will be a sweet, kind person when he grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment