Sunday, April 29, 2012

Playing the (Short) Waiting Game

Becoming pregnant was a decision John and I had spent many months discussing. In January, when we had officially decided to start trying, there were certain precautions we I took - I started taking prenatal vitamins and of course (many months prior) I got off birth control. Also, you should have some idea of when you're ovulating (there are some telltale signs that don't require the use of an ovulation kit). And honestly, that's all we did to prepare. There are many (thick) books on "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" and we might have resorted to such books but the waiting game for us was very short. By Valentine's Day, we found out we were pregnant (just a mere couple of weeks later!). I know several couples who took months to get pregnant, even with all the precautions taken. So my point is, every couple is different. If you're unsuccessful the first time around, don't worry! I think it's important to be in a positive state-of-mind - relax and try not to dwell on the stresses and technicalities of becoming pregnant right away. If you've been trying for several months with no luck, try a simple ovulation kit (about $20-$30 at your local supermarket or drugstore). It's often suggested that if you are unsuccessful after a year, it's time to see your doctor. John and I were SO fortunate and we wish any couple the best of luck when trying to have a baby because it truly is a blessing and we have never been more happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment